The EEG Tech performs electroencephalograms (EEG) and special diagnostic tests according to established policies and procedures.
* Performs EEG tests on both in-patients and out-patients.
* Orientates patients to test procedures to relieve patients' anxieties and to ensure cooperation.
* Measures and applies electrodes following 10/20 system.
* Verifies quality of recording (impedance, artifacts, etc.)
* Changes montages to delineate areas of abnormality if present.
* Completes patient analysis form: detail summary of test results.
* Assures EEG is within lab specifications for maximum quality; reviews the results with physicians during reading sessions.
* Demonstrates knowledge of basic anatomy, terminology, and physiology relevant to the EEG.
* Performs special diagnostic tests, such as Cerebral death studies, 24-HOUR EEG recording (Ambulatory), neonate recordings, awake and asleep (Sleep Deprivation) and others as indicated by ordering physician/supervisor.
* Determines appropriate recording parameters on patients relative to specific needs such as structural deviations (shunts, burr holes, etc.), behaviors (that affect recordings) and others as indicated by patient history or observation.
* Possesses a working knowledge of basic stimulation procedures and performs techniques for recording other physiological variables: ECG, respirations, surface EMG, eye movements and bodily movements (tics, etc.)
* Maintains both equipment and lab facility for safety and infection control purposes.
* Participates in on-going education in technical and clinical aspects of END procedures through staff meetings, in-services, attendance at workshops and independent reading/study to keep abreast of latest developments to continuously improve and upgrade skills. Continues to follow through independently on all required reading/testing programs as assigned to each department/staff for continued quality control through computer web site or otherwise.
* Performs descriptive/factual reporting and technical interpretations on EEG recordings.
* Assists in maintaining accurate and current files for EEG services.
* Maintains a clean and well attended testing environment for patients.
* Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit.
* Possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's requirements relative to his or her age, specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in the units' departmental policies and procedures.
* Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development of the life span and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interprets the appropriate information
* Provides patient care to Neonates, pediatrics, adolescents, adults, geriatrics.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
one year of EEG testing experience or training required.
High School Diploma or GED required.
Licenses / Certifications:
American Board Registry Electrodiagnostic Technician (ABRET) preferred.
ability to process order/request slips, perform computer entry skills, and handle various clerical duties.
Good Samaritan Hospital
Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, NY, is a 286-bed hospital providing emergency, medical, surgical, obstetrical/gynecological and acute-care services to residents of Rockland and southern Orange counties in New York; and northern Bergen County, NJ. The hospital is home to a recognized cardiovascular program, comprehensive cancer-treatment services, the area's leading Wound and Hyperbaric Institute and outstanding maternal/child services that includes a Children's Diagnostic Center. Good Samaritan Hospital also provides social, psychiatric and substance-abuse services and its certified home-care agency supports residents of the Hudson Valley and beyond.
WMCHealth is a 1,900-bed healthcare system headquartered in Valhalla, New York, with ten hospitals on eight campuses spanning 6,200 square miles of the Hudson Valley. WMCHealth employs more than 12,000 people and has nearly 3,000 attending physicians. From Level 1, Level 2 and Pediatric Trauma Centers, the region’s only acute care children’s hospital, an academic medical center, several community hospitals, dozens of specialized institutes and centers, a state of the art Telemedicine program, skilled nursing, assisted living facilities, homecare services and one of the largest mental health systems in New York State, today WMCHealth is the pre-eminent provider of integrated healthcare in the Hudson Valley.